Monday, April 14, 2008

Inspiration


With the race coming up this weekend you're probably asking yourself, "Just what the he-- was I thinking signing up to run a race in April?". The snow has barely melted, there's only been a couple of warm days, and there's been no good chance to do any training.


Maybe you've tried to run a little despite the late Spring. But it feels like you have Eric Gagne on your back, doesn't it?


So you tell yourself its just a "fun run". But we all know there's nothing fun about run.


Well, if you're feeling sorry for yourself, be inspired by the fact that our brigade leader (Bill) ran the Chileda Classic 5K and the Oktoberfest 5 mile the year after his bypass. Yes, two races post bypass without the use of HGH. So even if you have to give Eric that piggy-back ride, just tell yourself you can do it.


Suck it up, and we'll see you at the finish.

7 comments:

Karen said...

Really, he did? What inspired him to do that? Maybe there was free beer at the end.

Wish I could be there this weekend. Jeff and I know Bill would be upset if everyone was running and no one was drinking. We'll take care of the drinking.

Love you all, Karen

Mark said...

Damn you and your inspirational blogging. I'll have to give running another go tonight, it hasn't been going well. I think I have shin-splints. Either that or there are tiny men stabbing me in the ankles when I run.

Dick said...

I'm walking not running, when you get to the end you start drinking, and when I get there, oh that's when I'll catch up and pass you.

Uncle Bill ladies and gentelmen

Jocelyn said...

Whoever carries me on their back is my new hero.

My Dad and I would go on occassional runs when I was in high schhol, after his surgery. His philosohy when we ran was "run a few blocks, walk a few blocks". So, if you feel like you're carrying a keg of Forgy's best on your back, or if little men are stabbing you in the ankles, or any other body part, go ahead and walk a few. He'll cut you some slack.

I just want to say that when I signed up our team I never imagined we'd raise over $6,000. The support that everyone has received has been overwhelming, and it really goes to show how many lives my Dad touched, either directly or through one of us.

I feel so lucky to have had such a wonderful person for a father, and I know he would be really impressed with all of us, and our dedication to this cause. I'd like for this to be the first of many events that Bill's Brigade takes part in.

Thank you all again for your love and support!

Mary said...

Karen - the Oktoberfest 5 mile (and half-marathon) run features beer throughout the race. The course follows the parade route and people start lining up at midnight to watch the parade . They're more than eager to share their beer and brats at 7 AM :) I highly recommend it if you ever want to do a race in La Crosse. Del's Bloody Marys are only a block away from the finish line.

As for the rest of you, let the sweat begin.

Pat said...

I’m hoping this walk is patterned after this Oktoberfest thing Mary is describing. Are there rules about using a bike?

Karen said...

Can't believe I lived in La Crosse for 22 years and never knew that the race featured beer...what a shame. It is comforting to know I was probably drinking beer anyways, just not running while I was doing it. Thanks for the heads up though, Mary.

So that helps explain why Bill was running in the Oktoberfest race!

I will be toasting to you all this weekend. Wish I could be there. Jos, cheers to the first of many. Soon, I'll be able to participate!

Karen