Sunday, January 04, 2009

Happy Birthday Bill!

We miss you dearly. And don't worry, none of us ever believed that stupid "in heaven there is no beer" song. Enjoy your day on the other side.

15 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Karen has officially broken my streak of posting every day in the new year, dang. I was getting to the post...Dad, miss you lots. If I new how to make seven minute frosting I'd do it, but I don't, so I had a brownie and some kids beer for you instead. Love you.

Karen said...

Sorry Jos, I thought maybe you wanted someone else to do it. I decided I would wait until lunch time and post at that point if no one else had. Maybe you should make another post to keep the streak going!

Seven minute frosting, eh? Did your pops make that? Call me crazy, but isn't that a lot of time to make frosting? I guess I thought a minute or two would be sufficient. Must have been some frosting. Probably had beer in it.

Dick said...

I don't know about his 7 minute frosting, but I know how to make his six beer chicken. Just another measure of time, we could drink six beers while it cooked.

PS That was the microwave version of the recipe.
Dick

Mark said...

Hopefully this birthday will find Bill somewhere in a Lazy Boy Recliner, a hockey game on, a never ending spigot of Forgy's finest home brew, and the ability to yell "Hey!" at just about anyone who passes by.

Cheers, my friend

Jocelyn said...

I think it was called seven minute frosting...something like that. He always had German chocolate cake with seven minute frosting, and unsweetened chocolate drizzled on top. Kelly would make it, and when we were going through pictures for the funeral there was one of him and Mary and the cake he had was that kind of cake. He must have been like 4, or something, but obviously it was a favorite.

No worries on posting first. Jaymeson has a rough night so I was dragging a little this a.m.

Mary said...

I can whip up some seven minute frosting anytime you want, I have the power (and the recipe from my mom's Betty Crocker cookbook).

Karen said...

So is the 7 minute frosting the coconut variety that usually comes on top of German Chocolate Cake? I could eat that by the spoonfuls!

Jocelyn said...

No coconut. It's white and almost marshmallow consistency (not flavor), really sugary and yummy.

Mary said...

Here's the recipe:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Mix sugar, water, corn syrup, cream of tarter, salt and egg whites in top of double boiler. Over boiling water, beat at high speed until mixture forms stiff peaks (about 7 minutes). Add vanilla; beat to spreading consistency.

The cooled frosting was then topped by drizzling melted unsweetened chocolate on it.

Karen said...

Just a note...if you don't have cream of tartar, tartar sauce will not replace it.
(I tried this with gingerbread cookies when I was about 10...fish cookies is more like it).

Jocelyn said...

Karen, thanks for the pointer!

Dick said...

I remember those cookies, I think it was a Friday night and we had cole slaw and fries with them.

Karen said...

Yuck and yuck. A lasting memory nonetheless.

Mike B. said...

And, as some of you may remember, Bill's favorite cake was always better the second day.

Jocelyn said...

Mike,
That is totally what I was thinking! It was better the second day because the sugar kind of crystalized and got a little crunchy around the edges. Now you're making me hungry for cake!!